Sunday, August 3, 2008

tough race!


It was a tough race-she did her best and I must admit, I campaigned her hard but the competition was tough-and little did I know that the competition was my friend. Well, she did it-and so did my friend! The rest of the story, is the peoples choice award for the fiber arts-Mary went to fair, at least her photo-and she loves to pose for photo opts. She looked her best, with a bright blue mat surrounding her sweet face. I gave all I saw directions to the booth, with instructions as to what Mary's number was and howe to vote. Some did-then there was Norma-I forgot-she said. Norma, how could you? Mary calls you Auntie Norma. Now, truthfully, I did not vote-thought it would be cheating and now I"m glad that I didn't. Mary tied with Bobbie's photo of sheep and a wagon-it was really well done, and I'm sure Mary will be pleased when I tell her.

Fair is just fun-I can't help it-I love fair. Never went to fair till I was grown-the Colorado mountains just aren't conducive to growing gardens, raising animals and such. When my girl was small we always participated, then after she was grown and gone I seldom even got the opportunity to go. This year I made a splash-spent several days down at the fair along with a couple more walk throughs. The poultry barn was the noisiest-the rabbit pens were the dirtiest the cattle barns were the emptiest, and the sheep barns were heaven. Somehow I missed the pig barns-and that is a good thing. I'm nearly Jewish when it comes to pigs. And the friends-oh the friends that I saw. We laughed and talked about old times, we lamented of things past, we cried together about things present, and left each other feeling brighter about tomorrow. This world is all about survival and how we do it is our choice, and I saw some of the bravest survivors walking tall. It was good.

The wool did well, the beadwork did too but I was disappointed in how it was (not) displayed. Everyone was less than happy about the new fair lady-the atmosphere was not like it used to be-tension in the air in the armory-hope next year the wrinkles get worked out.

Sadly, two losses this week. My friend Mary Bates lost her daughter-a brave and tough girl who I loved as my own, and my "son" Scott found dead last night. I know both are in a good place, but will be so missed. Mary and I had a good visit and plans are in order for a birthday party for an old cowboy friend next weekend-that will surely help. We all need happy get togethers. I have expected Scott's news since I've known him, as some are too gentle for this world and he was surely that way but we've shared many good times and bad, and he loved Rasty like a father-"the old guy" he called him. Scott and I have shared many breakfasts together as for years he was our "night man" in the lamb barn and a better helper could not be found. He had a degree in engineering, graduating with a's all the way through-he knew the bible inside and out, was so kind and forgiving and never judged his fellow man. He ran to my aid when I was in trouble and made jokes that brought tears to your eyes. He loved sheep, always naming them, making splints for their broken legs, the only one in the world that fed my bums for me when I was at work and could live on a dollar for a month. I love you Scott-and I know you are with God. Hope I see you again.

No comments: