Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Holiday

Hard to believe it is Memorial day already. The winter has been so long, but the holiday itself seemed to hurry and get here. I decided I needed a plan-usually it is to the cemetery with flowers. That is not my thing, and has never been my thing but was what was done on Memorial day. I think there is nothing in the cemetery except stones and crosses and sad people-I believe in taking flowers to alive people who can smell them and enjoy them. This year I had already decided no flowers-and I decided that quickly but had no other plan for the weekend. It is okay-plenty of work to be done and only me to get busy is all I need-but then-the telephone rang. YES! A friend with a plan. You see, she said, she got a car key in the mail, and needed to go to Casper and pick up her car-the one the key fit. Wanna go with? You bet-showered and dressed in 3 minutes, threw the sheep out of the corral and ran to the road with my wet hair streaming behind me, buttoning my shirt on the way! Then-I realized I was traveling with a 75 year old-oops, change gears just a little bit, hit second and slow down. Okay-to get gas, to get breakfast, to get pop, to air up a tire and then-=we're on the way. I was ready to hit the second hand stores about the time we found the car dealership-the key didn't fit but we had a wonderful visit with the nice man and my friend , who had described her desire for a new car as an "obsession" consoled herself when she got the gas mileage of the new car computed in her head. Then, she suggested we eat lunch before we went to Hobby Lobby- sure. We ate a wonderful leisurely lunch, visited Hobby Lobby and headed back to the rez. It was a wonderful day-and I must admit it was fun to go 75 year old speed instead of my run to the thrift stores speed. I also remembered that Casper is just down the road a piece and I can find it and I can go again. My friend is a delight-very nontraditional Arapaho who spent most of her life married to a nonindian but raised by one of the most traditional mothers on the reservation. She now teaches the language to the high schools and commands their respect with only a look of the eye. She is masterful at what she does, and has taught me much about unconditional love of children and family. I'm looking forward to spending more time with her this summer and this day was one to remember! Thanks Annette!

No comments: