Friday, July 18, 2008

Heroes

My heroes have not always been cowboys. I have known too many cowboys too well for that-cowboys use the cover to be egotists, to be less than thoughtful and to be cruel to others at times. It is often the case that a cowboy just doesn't think it-not that he just won't say it. My heroes are all too human to be cowboys. I am often lonesome for my heroes as many have vanished for various reasons. . MY telephone time is sometimes spent with Dion-super dad and super guy. Life dealt him a tough blow and forced his early retirement-Shannon had to pick up the pieces for the family finances and she does a great job. Dion was then Mr. Mom, running the bus lines for his kids to and from and the kids nave never missed out on anything. First born son just entered the West Point Academy, and Dion is lost without him, but he will be okay.

Father Apel is a big time hero. Mostly because he cries, and we used to cry together-for the reservation, for the lost ones, and even for the good ones. St.Louis is his home now, and he still seeks solace here when he can but has lots of health concerns as well. I miss you Father John.

Father Mendez is perhaps my favorite hero-because although he wears the cloth he is so wonderfully human as well. My post office days often started with coffee with Richard-his wife Jo was cream on the coffee occasionally. He is in Randolett Utah now, loves it and they love him there. He was too kind and gentle for this reservation.

Jack Coppock was a hero-one to talk to and visit with-we didn't get to do it often, but it was always fun. He is waiting in Heaven now for the next big visit-joining his first wife and child-leaving his second wife and three children.

Gene Goggles is a hero-always fun. He will never forgive a certain neighbor who he used to ride the school bus with as a child and lots of the fun he has is taunting that neighbor. The rest of the fun he has is babysitting and loving his grandchildren. Looses his tough guy image completely when he has a pretty baby attached to each hand-and a big grin on his face.

Hollis is my hero-taking what life hands him and going on in stride. He is eager to be a good guy and takes time for me-I don't know who to compensate him but I tell him I love him. That will have to do for now.

Heroes are kind, thoughtful, and sometimes angered but forgiving. Heroes are human. Heroes are patient and brave, kind and love children, dogs and usually chocolate. I try hard to ask nothing from them more than an occasional ear, and hope to be able to lend one to them if they need it- swapping stories -enjoying each others company. My heroes are not always strong, and sometimes they fall down too-sometimes they make me think they need help so I will feel good about helping them-like they have helped me.

The biggest thing about my heroes is that one day, for any given reason, I might not see them again. One of us might get hit by a mack truck and splattered all over the highway-so I tell my heroes that I love them. I want them to know. It means nothing more than that. I am in love with very few people, but I love many people. Its called living, loving and learning. Next time we'll do heroines- both of them!

No comments: