Monday, July 21, 2008

wonderful visit

Sunday brought a great surprise. My old, and I mean old friend came to say hi. Virginia Sutter is one of those heriones of mine. She was elected to the Northern Arapahoe Tribal Council not once, but twice. SHe served never. Every time she got elected she got ousted the same, or nearly the same day. She is just too wise forher own good. How could she daare to suggest that all tribal pay advances be paid up, that all tribal travel be canceled and that all personal tribal loans be paid up? She could probably run the rez in the black and do a good job. SHe was quick to forgive personal errors, but also quick to give criticism. There were times when hher life was in jepordy, and she left at the right time. Since then she has been getting western tribes health programs up and going, now working in Nevada with a rehab center. So good to visit her, her sister and daughter and know they are doing well. I value her friendship and wish I could see more of her. I've known her for 35 years, and she isn't a bit older than she ever was. Her kids are nearly as old as I am and she looks 60. We talked about the Sun Dance and the kids. Later I went up to the Sun Dance Grounds and visited for a bit,. It was quiet so I came home, and didn't return. At sunset I went outside and smelled the cedar and the sage-it was resstful and peaceful.

No comments: