Friday, February 22, 2008

Let the games begin

WHat fun-district tournament time for basketball-the greatest sport on the rez. Another chance to watch my super hero Al Redman as coach again-the charter school hired him and he has been trying to make a ball team out of kids that are just now learning the skills. Sadly, most of the team are seniors, but I had to go "watch on". Last night was a hearbreaker-the boys were just not hitting-they did hustle, as Al's teams always do-but couldnt score and were tromped by Burlington. Today they played their big rivals, St. Stephens- a darn good team that has been years in the making. Oh how I wanted a win for them. The last game between the two was canceled due to threatening phone calls from St. Stephens-ohmygosh! Well, of course, I got there late this morning, but could have sworn that there was a meeting of the Wyoming Peace Officers going on there instead of a ball game. I sat with AL and Sandra C'Bearing-Al suggested that free donuts must have been offered! The entire front of the field house was nothing but cop cars. At any rate, John Redman (another hero) was assisting in the coaching duties, and Tom Elk Redman playing for his gramps. It was a ball game-what I wanted to see once again. The boys were hot and had the lead for a little while. They ended up with a loss, but what a great bunch of kids who never quit trying. Al brings out the best in them-and usually their short ball seasons end up being a big part of their lives. HIs style at the games is so laid back, he got up three times during the game, and never does he holler or belittle the kids at a game. I had to laugh-they have no cheerleaders, barely have enough players for a team, but the crowd usually has a leader who starts a cheer and all join in. THe big guy got up-started his "give me a W- give me an A-give me a r-give me another r-give me an o-give me an i-give me a r-give me an s-and the crowd followed. I thought it was a mistake, accidental, till the 15th time that he did it-got home and got the dictionary thinking that many people couldn't be wrong-welllll-why do you think they call it charter high school? Another collsolation game in the morning, I think- I'll go cheer for the WARROIRS!

THe chiefs are playing at RIverton, with their big champoinship game with Wind RIver-it will be a packed house but I'll try to hit that one too. Didn't get to the games this year like I had planned-so cold and dark at night-but I"ll do my best for the last ones.

One more lamb today-a little black girl just as sweet as can be-a yearling mother who loves her-God is Good.

If my life is to go on I have to make it happen, and I shall! Drifts are melting and my personal fog is lifting and I am going to be fine!

No comments: